In Geneva the World Summit on Information Society – WSIS Forum 2015, held from 25th May 2015 until 29th May 2015, came to an end. It was attended by over 1800 participants representing approximately 140 countries.
For the closure of the Forum, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) published two reports on projects and initiatives contributing to the development of information society in the world:
- The WSIS Stocktaking Report 2015,
- The WSIS Stocktaking: Success Stories 2015.
The WSIS Stocktaking Report 2015 (7th edition) contains description of over 500 projects chosen from all over the world (implemented by numerous entities), that were put into the dedicated database called the WSIS Stocktaking Database in the period from April 2014 to March 2015. This database contains over 135 000 entities implementing actions to combat digital exclusion as well as support the development of the ICT industry. These projects are to ensure achievement of the WSIS objectives.
In this Report Poland is represented by 8 projects, including 4 projects of UKE, namely:
- a collections of publications under the common name „Innovations” undertaken by the Marshall Office of the Lodzkie Region,
- Inventory of Telecommunications Infrastructure and Broadband Services in Poland conducted by UKE,
- the Consumer Information Centre of UKE,
- educational Project titled GO_PRO! aimed at creating innovative space for development of key competences and encouraging the youth to learn programming, implemented by Association for Non Formal Education MERITUM,
- Certificates of the President of UKE,
- Memorandum on cooperation for improving the quality of services in the telecommunications market provided to users signed by the President of UKE and telecommunication companies,
- Integrated Education Management and Recruitment System implemented by Zakład Usług Informatycznych OTAGO Sp. z o.o.,
- iTeatr Project – TVP’s Internet Theatre for schools, providing schools in small towns with the access to culture, implemented by Telewizja Polska S.A.
The WSIS Stocktaking: Success Stories 2015 contains description of projects that were awarded WSIS Project Prizes 2015 in 18 categories during this year’s WSIS Forum. Over 350 projects on development of information society were submitted for the competition. The competition was aimed at awarding the best global ICT projects as part of the WSIS objectives Implementation. The competition is a way to exchange experience of the ICT sector entities and present best practices in the development of information society.
We encourage you to read the reports.