During the ongoing World Summit on Information Society Forum 2015 (WSIS Forum 2015) held in Geneva, the President of UKE Magdalena Gaj has been appointed as the Chairman of the Forum - High-Level Track component.
The conference is the largest gathering of the ‘ICT for development’ community. It is co-organised by ITU, UNESCO, UNDP and UNCTAD, in close collaboration with all WSIS Action Line Facilitators/Co-Facilitators, i.e.: UNDESA, FAO, UNEP, WHO, UN Women, WIPO, WFP, ILO, WMO, UN, ITC, UPU, UNODC, UNICEF and UN Regional Commissions.
President Gaj is the first Pole who will hold this prestigious function and one of the first women to chair such a big and important international conference dedicated to new technologies' influence on the sustainable development. It is a huge honour emphasizing current engagement of both Magdalena Gaj and Poland in the WSIS process and in the development of information society.
* * *
World Summit on Information Society Forum 2015 (WSIS Forum 2015) is held at the ITU and WIPO premises in Geneva, from 25-29 May 2015. The main theme of this year's conference is the contribution and role of innovation and ICTs in the sustainable development. The Forum gathers high-level representatives of governments of the ITU member states, UN agencies engaged in the WSIS process, private sector, academia and civil society.
* * *
List of abbreviations:
- ITU - International Telecommunication Union
- UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- UNCTAD - United Nations Conference on Trade and Development
- UN DESA - United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nation
- UNEP - United Nations Environment Programme
- WHO - World Health Organization
- UN Women - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization
- WFP - World Food Programme
- ILO - International Labour Organization
- WMO - World Meteorological Organization
- UN - United Nations
- ITC - International Trade Centre
- UPU - Universal Postal Union
- UNODC - United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- UNICEF - United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund